NON-TRADITIONAL THERAPIES ~
UNIT 7 – 1 Complementary & Alternative Medicine (CAM)
Section 2: ABA, CBT, DIR, OT, PECS
UNIT 7 – 2 Complementary & Alternative Medicine (CAM)
Section 3: RDI, SPD, ST, TEAACH
NOTE: PROCEED WITH CAUTION. Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAMs) treatments are still very controversial and may even be very dangerous. Before starting any treatment program, investigate thoroughly, and ALWAYS, ALWAYS talk to your child’s doctor first.
PLEASE READ DISCLAIMERS –
Some questions to ask yourself about NON-TRADITIONAL THERAPIES ~
- Will your child use the ‘learned’ skills outside the ‘program’ setting?
- Will the learned skills improve the quality of his or her life?
- Will the program give be followed with fidelity & continuity?
- Will gains be made, maintained, followed-up, & modified as needed?
- Will the program be aligned with your child’s ~ Symptom constellation, Symptom severity, Developmental age?
- Will the program set realistic goals for overcoming years of ‘purposeless behavior’?
- Will the program improve the family interactions?
- Will the program accept assessment done by other programs or agencies?
- Will the program consider outside help needed for your child’s anxiety and/or lack of motivation.
- Will the program allow parents to ‘identify & verify’ program claims?
Go to the MENU to find the beginning of ~ UNIT 7 Who Can Help?